Friday, January 2, 2009

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Wow, it is 2009!!! And what a way to ring in the new year! We had SO many giggles yesterday. It is tradition at my house to have collard greens, black eyed peas, cornbread, and tenderloin EVERY YEAR!!! But yesterday my brother, dad and Jeremy were busy... so it turned out to be my mom, Lily, Laci, and myself. We had heart-to-heart talks, played on Facebook, and laughed so much. It was so much fun!!! Thanks mom for being so fun and easy to talk to! I love you more than you know!!!



So, for 2009 I am thinking in ways of SAVING money. I have always been pretty frugal but I am going to try to pray for ways I can save even more in 2009. And one way I have been saving money is by making my own Homemade Washing powders. They work great and last me several months. Here is the recipe:



Homemade Washing Powders:

1/3 bar soap (any soap you use to bath)

1/2 cup washing soda (we found this at Ingles)

1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax (you can find this at Wal-Mart)



Grate the soap & put in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups of water and heat it until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and Borax & stir until dissolved. Remove from the heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir.



Let soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel.



You use 1/2 cup per load.



Enjoy and save!

1 comment:

sharon said...

All right ... I am behind, obviously, in my blog reading. I am curious about your home-made washing soap. Do you have like a 5-gal bucket with a lid that you mix this up and store it in? Does it remain in a jelly-like consistency? Does it get your clothes as clean as conventional detergents?

Give me your likes and dislikes about this stuff ... total cost, etc. I am sick of spending a fortune on GAIN every month !

Love ya,
Cuzzin Sharon