Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Why I want to Homeschool

I have not been met with any oposition from anyone yet...but I know once they SHOULD be in public schools I will be met with more questions from my family. I know seveal homeschooled kids, as well as some of my family. And being around them I have found that they are very very bright. And they have a different focus than kids in public school. They seem to all be of a servants heart. (Not that kids in public schools can't be raised to be the same way.) I want my girls to be in the kitchen, garden, chicken coop (yet to come), and doing chores with me and each other daily. I don't want them to be gone from our house for 7 or 8 hours a day; then sitting at the table crying over how much homework they have. So, then I get the worst part of their day!

I also have a personal reason for wanting to school them myself. I had a very hard time in school all because I had a MEAN and HATEFUL 1st grade teacher. She LOVED when I failed and would make a big deal out of my grades. I had a hard time with math in 1st grade, and my teacher made that worse. She taught me to count on my fingers so that I could keep up. I want my girl's to have a teacher who loves them and wants them to succsed in math and every other subject. I want them to have a teacher that would drive them to where-ever to learn about a subject. And I want to be there when they "get it"!

Here is some other thoughts....this was based off my daily devotion I get everyday, but most of this is the very reason I have decided this is what will be best for our family.

* I want to homeschool my girls because fixed hours aren't required to learn a subject.

* I want to homeschool because there are so many fun things to learn. Not only are there great curriculums for covering the main subject areas, but there are also countless extracurricular topics and activities to explore.

* I want to homeschool because I have the flexibility to adjust our day depending on what God brings. If my child is grasping concepts quickly and wants to know more in language arts, great; I'll keep going and forget about doing history that day. If Dad has an impromptu meeting in another city, I can take advantage of the opportunity and schedule a family field trip.

* I want to homeschool because it gives me an opportunity to really know my children. As teacher and parent, I see both their heart and mind and have the blessed privilege to develop both in the Lord.

* I want to homeschool because I don't have to wait until school's out at 3:30 p.m. to receive a hug and a kiss. I have the joy of loving and being loved by my children throughout the entire day.

"Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked" (Ephesians 6:16).

Lord, thank You for giving me the opportunity to teach my children. Even though tough days will come, I know Your presence will guide us through. Help me appreciate the blessing of teaching my children each day. In the name of Jesus, Amen.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I am so proud of you and can't wait to see what you are able to accomplish with your girls!

sharon said...

BRAVO !!! Well said, Little Cousin. Your reasons are WONDERFUL reasons ... and the basis for great success. You may have struggled with 1st grade math, but YOU are a VERY smart and creative woman ... with lots of love and learning to share with Laci and Lily. March on bravely thru the door that God has graciously opened. Faith makes all things possible !!

And thanks for the blessing of your blog. I don't get to read it often, but I smile everytime I get a minute to "drop-in" on you girls !

XOXOXOXOX
Cuzzin Sharon