Okay, I am on this eating healthy kick. I am into my new cookbook Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. The concept is that you "sneak" in veggies into things already like to eat. And I really need that for Lily. She will not eat anything in a raw state.
But the chickpeas in the chocolate chip cookies have been the brunt of many jokes in our house. And by the way, they were actually really yummy!! I'll add the recipe for those of you brave enough to give them a try. When I make them again, I will not add the beans. But for a light and "healthy-er" cookie, they are great.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Nonstick cooking spray
1 Cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter (or margarine)
2 large egg whites
2 tsp. vanilla
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon or on medium speed until smooth. Beat the egg whites and vanilla, then the chickpeas and chocolate chips. Add the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt, and mix on low speed until a thick dough forms.
3. Drop by the tablespoonful onto baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and just set, 11 to 13 minutes; do not overbake.
If you try this, you have to let me know!
I think as a mom you have this instict to protect your kids. I never gave nutrition much thought....until kids. What was on T.V...until kids. That the word "modest" is used almost everyday in my house.
So, call me (and my bean cookies) crazy, but if it's for the overall better health of my kids, I am willing to go the extra mile. And being at home I have the luxury of feeding them what I want them to eat. I love that I get to choose what goes in their little bodies. Don't get me wrong....we have treats too! Mostly when we have played hard outside. Bottom line, I love being a mom and learning new things everyday!
No comments:
Post a Comment